Dr. Sanja Samirana Pattnayak holds Ph.D. in Economics from the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Masters of Philosophy (M.Phil.) from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. He started his academic journey as a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Economics at the National University of Singapore (NUS). He worked as Research Fellow at various Institutes such as Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, Institute of Real Estate Studies, and Global Asia Institute of the National University of Singapore. He has earlier taught at NUS Business School and Indian Institute of Management Tiruchirappalli.
His teaching interests include Microeconomics, Industrial Organization, International Economics, and Econometrics. His research areas focus on Real Estate housing, FDI-Innovation, Applied micro-econometrics/Panel data Analysis, Health and Labor economics, Productivity growth & efficiency, and Applied Industrial Organization, Global value chain.
His research papers have been published in Applied Economics, Economic Modelling, World Economy, Journal of Economic Studies, Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, and Keio Economics to name a few.
- “India in Global Services Value Chain: A case of IT/BPM” (with Alka Chadha), Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, August 2019, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 204-23.
- “Is health care a luxury? The debate revisited with new evidence from emerging economies” (with Alka Chadha), Applied Economics, 2016, vol. 48, issue 34, pp. 3195-3207. (ABDC Journal Ranking: A)
- “Is learning by Exporting Important? Evidence from Indian Manufacturing Firms,” (with Shandre M. Thangavelu), The World Economy, January 2014, vol. 37, Issue 7, pp. 1016-1026. (ABDC Journal Ranking: A)
- “Technical Efficiency of Indian Pharmaceutical Firms: A Stochastic Frontier Function Approach” (with Alka Chadha), Productivity: A Quarterly Journal of the National Productivity Council, 2013, April-June, 54 (1), 54-62.
- “Backward Linkages and Technology Spillovers in the Presence of Foreign Firms: Evidence from the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry” (With Shandre M. Thangavelu), Journal of Economic Studies, Volume 38(3), 2011. (ABS Journal Ranking: 2)
- “Economic Liberalization and Productivity for selected Indian manufacturing industries: A panel co-integration approach” (with Shandre M.Thangavelu), Applied Economics, Volume 42(1-3), 2010.(ABDC Journal Ranking: A)
- “Factor Accumulation and Long-Run Output: A Panel Co-integration Study of the Indian Manufacturing Industries” (With Shandre M. Thangavelu) Keio Economics Studies, Volume XLV, 2008.
- “Investigation of a Lead-lag Relationship between Spot and Futures Indices of the Hang Seng Stock Average” (with R. Gulasekaran), International Journal of Business Studies, Volume 15(1), June 2007.
- “Economic Reforms and Productivity growth in Indian Manufacturing Industries: An interaction of technical change and scale economies” (with Shandre M. Thangavelu), Economic Modelling, 22, 601-615, 2005.(ABDC Journal Ranking: A)
- “The Challenges before the Singapore Economy” (with Rahul Sen), The Fletcher Forum of World Affairs, 24, 2, Fall 2000, pp. 17-31.
- “Healthcare expenditure and income in emerging economies: The case for inclusive growth” (with Alka Chadha), in Ashok Banerjee (Ed), Emerging Issues in Management: Proceedings of Pan-IIM World Management Conference 2013, Emerald India: New Delhi, 2014, pp. 117-125
- “Impact of South Asia on Global Institutions: Economic and Social Perspectives”, (with Shandre M. Thangavelu)Routledge Handbook of South Asian Economics (the book) edited by Raghabendra Jha published by Routledge, an imprint of Taylor and Francis Books Ltd., 2011.
- “Role of International Monetary Fund, World Bank and Asian Development Bank in Tackling Financial Crises in Asia”, (with Alka Chadha), Tale of Two Crises: A Multidisciplinary Analysis (the book) edited by K.E. Seetharamandpublished by Routledge, New York, NY, 2012.
- The housing market in India with Tapas Mishra, University of Southampton, United Kingdom.
- Female Fertility and Labour Force Participation rate: The curious case of India, with Alka Chadha.
- Effect of Female Political Participation on Economic Growth, with Alka Chadha.
- Do Women Legislators affect Female Labour Force Participation Rate? Evidence from the Indian States with Alka Chadha.
- Ph. D: Econometric Modelling and Applications, Advanced Microeconomics, Industrial Organization, Health Economics, and Outcome Research
- PGP and PGPBM: Microeconomics, Industrial Organization
- Undergraduate: International Economics and Econometrics
- Ph.D. (Economics), National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- M.Phil. (Economics), Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
- MA (Economics) Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.