Prof. (Dr) Debasis Dash
Sr. Assistant Professor
OB & HR and L&D
Prof. (Dr) Debasis Dash is a Senior Assistant Professor of HRM at VPSM, DY Patil (Deemed to be) University, Navi Mumbai. He is a veteran and served on board various Indian Naval ships, submarines and establishments. Post recommendation by the UPSC, he worked as a Technical Officer at Naval Dockyard, Mumbai. He has been an orthodox HR professional for 13 years in his 29 years of service in the Indian Navy. He holds a Doctorate in HRM from GITAM (Deemed to be) University, Visakhapatnam, India, an MS in Quality Management from Birla Institute of Technology 7 Science (BITS) Pilani, a BE in Industrial Engineering from Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering (IIIE), Navi Mumbai and BSc in Electrical Technology from Cochin University of Science & Technology (CUSAT), Kochi. He is also a Certified Human Resources Analytics Professional (CHRAP) and has completed the Executive Development Programme in HRM from XLRI, Jamshedpur and SHRM.
Dr Debasis Dash has been visiting faculty at JBIMS, Mumbai, IIPM, Kansbahal, Osmania University, Hyderabad and also a Certified Trainer (Direct Trainer Skills-DTS & Design of Training-DoT) from Govt. of India/DoP&T. He is a Senior Member of the Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering (SMIIE), a life member of the Indian Society for Training and Development (ISTD), and the Quality Circle Forum of India (QCFI). His focused areas of interest include; Organizational Behaviour &Human Resource Management (OB & HRM), Learning & Development (L&D), HR &People Analytics, MDPs on Soft Skill Development and FDPs on Trainer Development (Train-the-Trainers). He is an avid learner and has participated in various seminars/workshops conducted by IITs, IIMs, XLRI, ASCI, IIIE, NITs & ISTM. He also published conceptual and research papers in referred and indexed journals. He received the International Emerald Literati-2022 award for Best Reviewer.
Work Experience (Indian Navy)
Military Grooming (27/08/1994 to 05/09/1998).
Technical Support Function, Surface to Air Missile Specialist, Staff Instructor (06/09/1998 to 08/08/2012).
Manager Dockyard Projects - Plant Development & Estates (09/08/2012 to 22/04/2014)
Deputy Manager - Human Resource Training and Development (23/04/2014 to 04/12/2016).
Personnel Manager - Pay Bill, Coordination and Projects (05/12/2016 to 06/05/2019).
Senior Manager Human Resource Training, Public Information Officer (PIO), Secretary Official Language (Hindi) Implementation Committee (07/05/2019 to 01/03/2023).
Sr Manager Safety, Environment Compliance & Training (02/03/2023 to 14 Aug 2023).
Training Programme Coordination (Indian Navy)
Faculty Development Programmes (FDP) – Train the Trainers Workshops (3 days)
Mandatory Induction Training (MIT) – Newly recruited employees (10 days)
Supervisory Orientation Training (SOT) - Newly promoted Supervisors (10 days)
Dockyard Officers Orientation Training (DOT) – Incoming Officers(5 days)
Planning for Retirement – Officers and Staff retiring on superannuation (10 days)
Membership of Professional Organizations
Life member BITS Alumni Association (BITAA)
Life and Senior Member Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering (SMIIE)
Life Member Indian Society for Training & Development (ISTD)
Life Member Quality Circle Forum of India (QCFI)
Awards And Rewards
Medal by The Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (Southern Naval Command).
Best Instructor Trophy at INS Valsura, Jamnagar
Proficiency Awards, Letters of Appreciation by the Commanding Officers of Indian Naval Ships
Outstanding Reviewer, by Emerald Literati Awards–2022.
Covid Warrior Certificate – Developed a learning culture transformation during the pandemic
Thesis - “Impact of Training Effectiveness on Employee Performance: Assessing the Role of HRD Climate-Culture and Values in Naval Dockyards”, under the supervision of Dr KV Sandhyavani(GITAM University’s notification no. Ph.D./No.485/2020 dated 27 Jun 20).
Journal Articles Published
- Farooq R., Dash D., Vij S. & Bashir, M. (2023). Role of Knowledge Management in Turbulent Times, VINE Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems (VJIKMS), Vol. 53 No. 2, 2023, pp. 205-209, Guest editorial, Emerald Publishing Limited, 2059-5891, Scopus, ABDC-B, https://doi.org/10.1108/VJIKMS-03-2023-318
- Dash, D., Farooq, R., and Upadhyay, S. (2022). Linking workplace ostracism and knowledge hoarding via organizational climate: a review and research agenda, International Journal of Innovation Science (IJIS), Emerald Publishing Limited, 1757-2223, Scopus, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJIS-05-2021-0080.
- Dash, D., &Sandhyavani, K. V. (2019). Impact Assessment of Employee Career Management on Employee Work Engagement by Adoption of OCM and UWES Measurement Scales-A Sectoral Study, EPRA Publication:International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research (IJMR). Cross Ref, Google Scholar, https://doi.org/10.36713/epra3730
- Dash, D., Farooq, R., Panda, J. S., &Sandhyavani, K. V. (2019). Internet of Things (IoT): The New Paradigm of HRM in the 4th Industrial Revolution (ID 4.0), IUP Journal of Information Technology(IJIT),Vol 15, Issue 4, pp7-30,EBSCO &ProQuest Database,
Case Studies Published
- “The Nosedive of Thomas Cook, What Happened and Why?” Proceedings of IBS Conferenceon Marketing and Business Strategy (ICOMBS 2022), IBS, Hyderabad, India.
Conference/Seminar Papers Published
- “People-Perspective-Privacy (PPP) Trilogy: Human-Centric Approach in HRM 4.0”, ISDSI Global Conference 2022, JagSom, Bengaluru, India.
- “The Influence of Employee Aspirations on Work Satisfaction: Mediating Role of Passion for Work and Work Engagement”, International Conference on Strategic Perspectives (ICSP‐2022), DAV University, Jalandhar, India.
- “Perceived Importance of Smart HRM in the Era of the Fourth Industrial Revolution (ID 4.0)”, International Conference on Industrial Engineering (ICIEIND-2018), IIIE and ITER, SOA University, Bhubaneswar, India.
- “The Impact of Training and Career Development on Employee Engagement: An Analysis Using OCM & UWES Measurement Scale”, The 8th International Conference on Excellence in Research & Education (CERE-2017), IIM Indore, India.
- “The Conceptualization of Civilian Training in the Naval Dockyards / Ship Repair Yards as an Organizational Commitment and Evolve a Systematic Framework for Growth and Sustainability”, The 3rd International Conference on Industrial Engineering (ICIE-2015), IIIE and SVNIT, Surat, India.
- “Challenges and Way Ahead: Management of Vintage Marine Infrastructures at Naval Dockyard Mumbai”, Seminar on "Emerging Trends in Development of Marine Infrastructure", DirectorGeneral of Naval Projects (DGNP-2013), Mumbai, India.
Publication In Progress/Under Review
- Case Study / The Leadership Feat at the Reds: Jürgen Norbert Klopp
- Paper / Impact of Industry 4.0 Technologies Adoption on Business Performance: Mediating Role of Organizational Learning Capabilities.
- Paper / Does the Absence of Dissent Kill an Innovation: A Research-based Critique?
- Paper / Potential Impact of Industry 4.0 Technology on Counterproductive Work Behaviour: Moderating Role of Organizational Culture.
- Paper / Potential Impact of Remote Working on Organizational Resilience During Pandemic: Moderating Role of Remote Supervision.
- Paper / Engineering Education and Training in the Digital Era: Role of PADDIE+M Instructional System Design and MOOC.
- Paper / Assessment of ISO / Training Quality Management System (TQMS) Standard in Industry 4.0.
- Paper / Bibliometric Analysis of Talent Management Research Indexed in Scopus and Web of Science
- Paper / Consequences of Open Innovation on Business Performance.
- Book Chapter / Overcoming Barriers to Digital Higher Education in the Global South: Stories of Amina and Maria”, IGI Global (Review completed, publication awaited).
- Book Chapter / Green and Sustainable Entrepreneurial Intentions: Cultural Contexts from India, World Scientific (Review in progress).
Book Review Completed
“The Nuances of Dharma and Challenges of Being Good – Teachings from the Mahabharata Saga: A Review of Gurcharan Das'sThe Difficulty of Being Good", Published in Chief of Naval Staff’s Book Review
Emerald /International Journal of Organizational Analysis (IJOA)
Emerald /Management Research Review (MRR)
Emerald /Vilakshan-XIMB Journal of Management
Emerald / The Learning Organization (TLO)
Emerald / Vine Journal of Information and Knowledge Management (VJIKMS)
Guest Editor – Journals
Emerald (Special Issue) / Vine Journal of Information and Knowledge Management (VJIKMS), Role of Knowledge Management in Turbulent Times of Pandemic
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=vAGKZHMAAAAJ&hl=en
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Debasis-Dash-6/publications
Web of Science Researcher Id: AAV-5063-2020
- MBA Courses
- Human Resource Management (HRM)
- Performance Management System (PMS) and Appraisals
- Labour Laws
- BBA Courses
- Business Communication and Presentation Skills
- Computer Application and Management Information system (MIS)
PhD(Human Resource Management), 2020, Gandhi Institute of Technology & Management (GITAM) Deemed to be University, Visakhapatnam
MS(Quality Management), 2012, Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS) Pilani.
BE (Industrial Engineering, 2008, Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering (IIIE), Mumbai.
BSc (Electrical Technology), 2005, Cochin University of Science & Technology (CUSAT), Kochi.
Diploma (Electrical Engineering), 1998, INS Valsura (Indian Navy), Jamnagar.
Faculty Development Programme (FDP) Attended
Advance Data Analysis using SPSS and Structure Equation Modelling using AMOS, 2017, Bharati Vidyapeeth(Deemed University) Institute of Management & Research (BVIMR), New Delhi
Recognized Trainer in Direct Trainer's Skills (DTS), 2021, Administrative Training Institute (ATI), Mysuru, Sponsored by Dept. of Personnel & Training (DoP&T), Govt. of India.
Recognized Trainer in Design of Training (DoT), 2022, Institute of Secretarial Training & Management (ISTM), New Delhi, Sponsored by Dept. of Personnel & Training (DoP&T), Govt. of India.
Certification Courses Attended
Developing Leadership Competencies, MDI, Gurgaon
Executive Development Programme (HRM), XLRI Jamshedpur & SHRM.
Certified HR Analytics Professional (CHRAP), AON-Hewitt Learning Centre (AHLC), Mumbai.
Managerial Effectiveness, IIM Ahmedabad
Strategic HRD and Research Perspective, IIT Roorkee
Strategic Human Resource Management, Contemporary HR Practices for HR Leaders, Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI), Hyderabad
Assessor Certification Programme on “Assessment Centre Approach to Competency Mapping”, XLRI Jamshedpur
Management of Training-MoT and Training Needs Analysis-TNA by GoI/ DoP&T
Big Data Analytics, ISTM, New Delhi, Dept. of Personnel & Training (DoP&T), Govt. of India
Financial Control, Budgeting, Accounting, and Audit in Govt. Parasam Institute, Bengaluru
Nuclear Biological and Chemical Defence (NBCD) Course, INS Shivaji, Indian Navy
‘5’ S Workshop, Quality Circle Forum of India (QCFI), Visakhapatnam
‘Pay Fixation’ and ‘Establishment Rules’, Institute of Secretarial Training & Management (ISTM), New Delhi
Leadership and Management Courses (30 days each) at INS Agrani, Coimbatore
SHRM Foundation Veterans at Work Certification
Trainer's Certification-Methods Course, Naval Institute of Educational Training & Technology (NIETT), Indian Navy, Kochi.
IMS-ISO 9000 Certified Internal Auditor Course, NIETT Kochi, and Indian Registrar of Shipping (IRS).
Certification (Online)Career Management, Coaching, Crisis Mgmt., Delegating, Managing Your Boss, Managing Your Career, Harvard Manage Mentor
People Analytics Certification (Online, Coursera), Wharton.
Workshops, Seminars, Webinars Attended
Workshop on"Publishing in Academy of Management Discoveries", BML Munjal University.
Workshop on"Academic Book Writing & Related Topics", Springer Nature.
Workshop on"Emerging Trends in Learning", Indian Society for Training & Development (ISTD).
Workshop on"Management Research in the Indian Context, Opportunities and Challenges", IIM Ahmedabad and Indian Academy of Management (INDAM).
Workshop on"Crafting and Conducting High-Quality Research", IIM Ahmedabad and Indian Academy of Management (INDAM).
Workshop on"Research Methodology" (ICSSR sponsored), IIT Guwahati.
Workshop on"Conflict Management and Negotiation", The University of Nebraska, Omaha & GITAM, Visakhapatnam.
Workshop on “Right to Information Act (RTI)”, Institute of Secretarial Training & Management (ISTM), New Delhi.
Workshop on"Concepts of Embedded Systems", IIT Bombay.